The Spellmans strike again
a novel by Lisa Lutz
edited by Simon and Schuster
As the book is only available in english, I decided to write this note in Shakespeare's language because if you can't read this note, then you can't read the book and what a shame that would be !
The sister and I were so thrilled to learn that Lisa Lutz, the funniest american writer there is, was publishing another book about the hilarious Spellman family. We ordered it immediately and have both read it in record time !
For those of you who don't know anything about these books, here's a list :
- The Spellman Files (traduit en français "Spellman & Associés")
- Curse of the Spellmans (traduit en français "Les Spellman se déchaînent")
- Revenge of the Spellmans
- The Spellmans strike again
The protagonist, Isabel Spellman, is a 30 year old private investigator who works for the family business in San Francisco. She used to be a rebel and delinquent adolescent and has trouble becoming a responsible adult. She has the nasty habit of investigating everyone around her, from her boyfriends to her relatives, who do the same. Her brother David is basically perfect, a successful lawyer, handsome and her mom's favourite. Her younger sister Rae is so hilarious that I can't even begin to describe her. You'll just have to read the books !
Ok, so here's an extract from Curse of the Spellmans. I hope you'll enjoy it because for me, it's so hilarious that I often find myself laughing out loud while reading.
- "Hello ?"
- "Hi, Mom."
- "Who is this ?"
- "Isabel, and don't ask me again."
- "Who ?"
- "Mom, it's really not funny when you do it."
- "Seriously, who is this?"
- "I don't have time for your games right now."
- "Neither do I", said Mom, finally dropping the amesia act. "I'll call you in a few days."
- "Don't hang up!!!" I shouted in the receiver.
- Isabel, calm down."
- "Just don't hang up."
- "Why not?"
- "Because... I only get one phone call."
I won't say too much about the plot so as not to ruin it for you, but I will say that I am in love with these books and that thet are witty and so hilarious.